Are You a Candidate?
Cochlear implant candidacy criteria is set based on research that has shown that those who meet this criteria can safely benefit from cochlear implant technology. The candidacy criteria for the cochlear implant is approved by Health Canada. Across Canada, the determination of one's candidacy for the cochlear implant is made using the exact same criteria.
The cochlear implant candidacy criteria for adults (18 years and older) is as follows:
- Moderate to severe/profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears
- Limited benefit from well fit hearing aids
- Hearing loss that developed after (post-linguistic) learning speech and language and before (pre-linguistic) learning speech and language, if they communicate orally.
- No medical contraindications
- Realistic expectations and a desire to be a part of the hearing world